Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Him

So there we were, my friend and  I, sitting in the grass near the pond in Humboldt Park. We get together occasionally to do a tarot card reading, which usually just means we have a bit of a therapy session and talk in depth about what's going on in our lives, our little problems, and how we can improve things.

The problem today is the same problem that seems to consistently emerge in most girls' lives- boys. My current dilemma is boys who make me really happy, boys who are super attractive, boys who are wonderful in so many ways, but boys who might not be quite right for me. So do I settle for someone just because he's so nearly close to being Him? (Not him as in God, just Him as in the person in my life who's name gets to be emphasized because I feel a capitalization or a punctuation or an italicization in my stomach when I hear it.)

"No!" says my friend. And I agree. So the only solution is to keep looking. "You have to picture him, then. You have to manifest him into your life," she says. Okay then! "Tell me who he is. Picture him and tell me exactly what he looks like."

"Well...." I close my eyes and he appears in the dark like lines on an etch-a-sketch. "There's this really dashing smile. It indicates his sense of humor, I suppose. It means he's lighthearted. And laidback. There are these soulful eyes. I could look into them and know what he's thinking, and when he's thinking about me his eyes are stormy and passionate. He's talented. He's happy.. He's interesting... He's unique...." I start to go off on a tangent and my friend drives me back onto course- "Stop," she says. "Don't tell me about his personality, just see him physically and tell me what he looks like."

(And anyone who knows me, knows what's coming next...) "He's got this really wicked beard, " I say.

Then I open my eyes...

Down the little pebbled park path comes a  beautiful bearded man out for a stroll with his pet dog. The sun beats down on him. He's all a-glow. My eyes widen... "Oh wow. Oh boy. Oh geez." I sit there stunned, realizing that if there was ever a moment in which a coincidence could be a bit more than simply a coincidence, this might be that moment.  Yet I can hardly manage to push out a meager smile as he meanders by.

So it would seem that today the universe created the perfect man instantaneously upon my request and plopped him down directly in front of me. And I let him stroll down the path, into the trees, until I couldn't see him anymore.

No comments: